Two UK nationals have been charged with various Fraud and Money Laundering offences which caused a local company to lose over £43,900.
Between August 2022 and April 2023, Wendy Simpson, 66, was able to make 67 transfers out of her employer’s account and 54 of these were sent directly to her own bank accounts in UK.
On various occasions, Simpson provided her employers with incorrect information in order to disguise her fraudulent transfers.
Following an investigation by the RGP’s Economic Crime Unit, it was discovered that some of the transfers had gone into the account of her partner, Peter West, 67, whose bank account was in Gibraltar.
On Friday 21 July 2023, the two UK nationals were arrested on suspicion of:
· Fraud by Abuse of Position
· Fraud by False Representation
· Unauthorised Access with Intent to Commit or facilitate Commission of Further Offences
· False Accounting
· Money Laundering
· Acquisition, Possession or Use of Criminal Property
· Unauthorised Access to Computer Material
Simpson and West will appear in the Magistrates’ Court today Monday 24 July.